This is a collection of links to free resources that have helped me with music.
- Bobby Owsinski's Inner Circle - Owsinski wrote some of the most influential books on mixing and mastering. The podcast covers both production and music business.
- The CLIMB - A songwriter and producer from Nashville offering a refreshing combination of motivation and real talk. Acronym for "Creating Leverage in the Music Business".
- Composer Quest - Interviews and commentary on aspects of music composition.
- DIY Musician Podcast - CD Baby's podcast, specifically for the DIY recording artist.
- Home Recording Weekly Podcast - Mixing and recording information, relevant to all learning levels.
- The Mastering Show - Hugely informative discussion of all elements of mastering.
- The Modern Musician Show - Business-focused site, but the podcast addresses the creative process as well.
- The Music Biz Weekly Podcast - No-nonsense music business and marketing podcast.
- Music Business Facts - An Australian music business podcast that I would especially recommend for metal and hard rock people.
- Music Business Radio - One of the slicker business-end podcasts.
- The Naked Vocalist - One of surprisingly few singing podcasts.
- Recording Lounge - Very in-depth and informative production podcast.
- Recording Studio Rockstars - Interviews with mixing rock stars on their craft.
- Simply Recording Podcast - Entertaining and informative back-and-forth from two recording musicians.
- Song Exploder - Famous musicians and bands dissecting in detail some of their most popular tracks.
- Square Cad: A Mastering Podcast - No longer making episodes, but there's a substantial archive of mastering engineers talking shop.
- TAP to Music - Largely themed around inspiration and the creative process.
- TechMuze Academy - Covers everything from music theory to marketing, especially production. The website has more resources including videos and a blog.
- Coursera - Free internet courses from real universities on numerous subjects. The ones from Berklee College of Music are uniformly excellent.
- Felicia Ricci - Voice teacher who regularly puts out new lessons on YouTube.
- Hardcore Mixing - Focused on mixing for heavy music specifically. Includes both videos and now a podcast.
- Modern Mixing - YouTube channel with detailed mixing and mastering techniques.
- Point Blank Music School - Prolific production channel from London music school.
- Produce Like a Pro - Mixing, mastering, and interview channel from the Produce Like a Pro website.
- The Pro Audio Files - A wealth of great information on mixing, mastering and recording.
- Walk That Bass - Jazz and blues theory explained clearly.
- Oblique Strategies - [Android] App version of creativity-inspiring card deck invented by Brian Eno and Peter Schmidt. Here's an iPhone version.
- Perfect Ear 2 - [Android] Ear-training app.
- Sample Radar - A very wide variety of free sample packs.
- TT Dynamic Range Meter - [PC] Will calculate the DR for .wav files and work as a plug-in in some DAWs. Page hasn't been updated since 2009 but I'm not aware of a better free alternative.